Corned Beef and Cabbage

I've made my Portuguese New England Boiled Dinner many times, but have never used corned beef in what a lot of people call a traditional New England Boiled Dinner - or Corned Beef and Cabbage. When I saw that Cathy at Wives with Knives made it recently using her crockpot, I decided to give it a whirl. Cathy also let us in on a little secret to finishing the beef under the broiler, which is the way her mom has always prepared it.
I put a couple stalks of celery on the bottom of the crockpot, then layered whole peeled potatoes, sliced onions and peeled carrots. I put the beef on top of the vegetables then poured water in to almost cover the meat. I cooked this on high for 3 hours and then on low for 5 hours. I then removed the beef and vegetables to a roasting pan, covered it with foil and let it sit in a 250 degree oven to keep warm. I poured the broth from the crockpot into a pan and put the quartered cabbage in it to simmer until done, about 45 minutes. 

Cathy's tip: Mix together 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons Dijon, a dash of cloves and 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar. When the beef is done, remove the fat and spread with this mixture. Broil the beef until  the topping is hot and bubbly. I sliced my beef first and painted the slices with the sugar mixture. It really added a nice finishing touch to the beef. I also mixed some sour cream and prepared horseradish to serve with the meal. 
I'm linking this to Cuisine Kathleen's 3rd Annual St. Patrick's Day Blog Crawl! Check there on Tuesday, March 15 to see the roundup!


Popular posts from this blog

408 cheytac vs 50 bmg

Suddenly an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof. He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.