Banana Bread

Everyone's made banana bread before, right? Um, not me. Not until this past week. As a matter of fact, I'd never even tasted it. *Gasp*

But then, a couple of Saturdays ago, we hung out with an old friend and his girlfriend and she gifted us with a banana walnut loaf to take home. I was hooked. Hooked, I tells ya.

When we ran out, I eyed the bananas on top of my refrigerator and decided to try my hand at it. I had no walnuts in the house, so I made the first one with pecans:


It was really tasty, but dried out by Day 2. Steve suggested adding another banana the next time, both for flavor and moisture. I did and it worked beautifully. I had also bought walnuts by then, so, voila:


Absolutely delicious. Moist, with a much more intense fruit and nut flavor than the first. I ate three pieces yesterday morning and could have had more if I didn't practice some restraint.


Banana Bread

Ingredients

4 bananas
1 stick of butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 1/2 cups of flour
1 to 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped walnuts or pecans

Method

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, mash bananas. Pour melted butter into the bananas and mix well. Add egg, sugar, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and stir to incorporate. Finally, sift flour and add to bowl. Mix until just combined. Fold in walnuts or pecans.

Pour batter into a buttered loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack. Pop bread out, place on a serving platter and slice.

NOTES

I'm not reinventing the wheel here. Like I said above, everyone makes banana bread, right? The one difference between mine and most, though, is that I use fresh bananas instead of ones about to go bad. Of course, if you know me, the idea that I plan all my food, even banana bread, shouldn't surprise you. Everything with intent and organization and all that jazz.

Popular posts from this blog

Suddenly an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof. He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

408 cheytac vs 50 bmg