So...You Turned 21 Today

   Today is my son's 21st birthday.  He is away at college, so I didn't get to celebrate the day with him.  It doesn't seem right not getting to see him on such an important birthday milestone, but he will be home this weekend, so we can celebrate the day then.  I did send him messages over the internet and talk to him on the phone tonight, but it's just not the same as seeing him and being able to give him a hug.


   Here are a couple of my favorite pictures of him when he was little.  The first when he was two years old and the second when he was three years old.  In the first one he was climbing up the slide in the back yard (not on the ladder, but up the slide itself).




I love the mischievous look on his face and the twinkle in his eye in this next one.  He looks like he is up to something.




   It seems like such a short time ago that he was this young.  It's hard to believe he is 21 years old.  I remember the days of water balloon fights and Little League baseball games and gliding about on roller blades so well.  I remember his love of matchbox cars and Pokemon characters and Power Rangers.  


   I remember how proud I was of him when he had a daily paper route, and when he not only was chosen to be part of the school's Quiz Bowl team, but when their team won first place in the county, and his picture was on the front page of the local newspaper. 


   I remember him looking out for his little brother, taking care of him and teaching him things.  He kept him safe from bullies in the neighborhood and taught him the secrets that brothers share.


   From the days when he lost his first tooth to when we took the training wheels off his bike to when he learned to drive a car and tie a necktie and went on his first date, all of those days have been on my mind today.


   In high school he was on the track team and cross country team and loved pole vaulting more than anything.  He was also very active in and passionate about our church youth fellowship group.  His concern for others was then, and still is, genuine and backed up by the many times he has volunteered his time and service to help those in need.


   He is now and always has been a blessing to me for which I am very grateful.  He has grown into a responsible young man.  He is a cheerful, caring, loving, personable fellow with a great sense of humor and lots of friends.  


   In addition to carrying a heavy class load with a double major at school, he is also the leader of a Christian student group on his campus that meets each week that he helped to create.  He will graduate from college this summer with his Bachelor's Degree and has applied to some Graduate colleges for after that.  I am pleased and proud to call him my son.  Happy Birthday, Kiddo!  Thank you for being the wonderful person that you are.



Popular posts from this blog

408 cheytac vs 50 bmg

Suddenly an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof. He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.