Bunny Theater

Some of my readers who have been coming around here for a while may remember the bunny nest and baby bunnies that were in my yard a couple of summers ago.  Well, a new family has arrived.


A mother bunny was building a nest in my front yard right out by the sidewalk over this past weekend.  I made a video of her.  My camera is an inexpensive one and the video is not good quality, but I enjoyed watching her and thought maybe some of you might enjoy it too.  

Before the video starts, she spent quite a bit of time digging the hole.  In this video, you will see her pulling big mouthfuls of grass up by the roots and then carrying them over to the nest.  She lines the hole that she dug with the grass to make it soft for the baby bunnies.  She also uses the grass to cover up the babies to protect and hide them.


If you turn up the volume, you can hear the early morning noises from my neighborhood---a neighbor vacuuming out his car, a train in the distance, lots of songbirds singing, a dog barking, and so forth.  You will see a bird or two make a cameo appearance too. This is six minutes long but two or three minutes of it will give you enough to see how she makes her nest if you don't have time to watch it all.



This is what the nest looks like now.  It is a hole filled with grass and dirt.  I imagine the babies are down in there in the deeper side of the hole on the left side, but I didn't uncover them.  I didn't want to disturb the nest.


I kept my distance from the mother bunny while she was working because I didn't want to scare her off.  



In a closer view of the photo above, you can see a stick she has in her mouth while she is making the nest.  It almost looks like she is smoking a cigar, which seems wrong somehow!  HA!


I am hoping I'll be able to get some pictures of the babies in the days to come, but that remains to be seen.

Popular posts from this blog

Suddenly an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof. He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

408 cheytac vs 50 bmg