Rabbit Stew
When I'm looking for a wild game recipe, there's just one place I need to go. It's Hank Shaw's blog, Hunter Angler Gardener Cook. If you don't eat wild game, don't leave yet... Hank offers up a boatload of good stuff. He can tell you how to cure olives; how to gather wild mushrooms; how to preserve lemons; and how to make sausage and salami, and wine. If you have an octopus lying around that you're not sure how to cook, Hank's your man.
Last month, in single-digit temperatures, my gardener picked up his .22 and went rabbit hunting. Being the good gardener (and hunter) that he is, he came home with 3 Cottontails and one Snowshoe.
Even though I have never eaten rabbit, I had no qualms about doing so. What did intimidate me was cooking a rabbit! So, over to Hank's blog. He'd just posted a recipe for Sardinian Hare Stew. A hare is a jackrabbit - one tough old bird, er... rabbit.
Yesterday, I printed up Hank's recipe and cooked up a Cottontail. The recipe calls for onion, garlic, parsley, capers, saffron, red wine vinegar, and of course rabbit! The finished dish was sweet, fall-off-the-bone-tender meat with a hint of tang thanks to the capers & vinegar. I served this stew over a big spoonful of polenta and it was one of the best meals I've ever eaten!