Watching TV series: Merlin




Watching TV series: Merlin. It's Sunday, Merlin's on! By definition, anybody who adds to the huge Arthurian body of work (possibly the hugest of all), takes "liberties" with the myth, but that's not even an appropriate phrase, because there's only the tiniest piece of historic truth in the whole thing, anyway, whatever Glastonberry shopkeepers will tell you. There was some wartribe chief vaguely corresponding to this Arthur fellow centuries before the medieval period when his adventures are always set. I had to study Le Morte D'Arthur for the Agrégation, back in my long gone youth, and read just about every little piece of arthuriana I could lay my hands on. Before and after, I'd seen a zillion movies and a zillion TV products and read a zillion comic books dealing with Arthur and Merlin and the whole gang. But this new product does take more liberties, as it were. Unexpected ones, I mean. Notably when it comes to the relationships between the protagonists. Plus they're all lovely-looking. Who cares if they speak twenty-first century (occasionally mid-Atlantic) English? Good to see Anthony Steward Head again (how I miss Buffy! there are one or two metaleptic jokes). Irish Katie McGrath is gorgeous. Sometimes she looks like Madonna circa Like A Prayer, sometimes like Eva Green, Rachel Weisz, Monica Bellucci, Keira Knightley... Very entertaining indeed.

Popular posts from this blog

Suddenly an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof. He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

408 cheytac vs 50 bmg