Venison Stew
It's cold and snowing in Montana - perfect weather for Venison Stew! This recipe can be made with beef as well.
I started with two pounds of vension stew meat. I didn't mess around and use one of the tougher cuts of meat -- not this time. I took a tenderloin and cubed it up for today's stew!
To begin with, rinse and dry the meat, then combine it with some flour and toss to coat the meat.
Butter is melted in a pan and a little olive oil is added. Then the meat is placed in the pan in a single layer (no crowding!) so you may have to do this in batches.
The meat is seared until browned on all sides.
Dice some celery and shred a large carrot.
Thinly slice one leek (white and light green parts, only).
After the meat is removed from the pan, saute the leeks.
Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic and saute for about 10 minutes.
Finally, some beef stock, red wine and a bay leaf is added to the pan, along with the browned meat. This is all brought to a boil then simmered for four hours.
The venison was tender and the gravy was rich. This was some good eatin' and it was even better the next day! I served this over some mashed potatoes one day and another day we had it with pasta.