Not Feeling Much Like Dancing

A 91 year old woman was apparently murdered in her own home here in my little town last week.  It happened just a few short blocks (about a five minute walk) from my home, very close to the park where I love to walk.   The news of this incident has changed my town overnight.  This is the first murder here in more than sixty years.

Little information has been released about the case.  There is much that isn't being said. Details are sketchy, and police are not releasing much information at this time for fear of compromising their case. What the police officials here ARE saying is that we should all be vigilant about keeping our homes secured and watching for suspicious vehicles and people in our neighborhood.  We have been told to be extra cautious after dark.  In a town where everyone says hello as they pass you on the sidewalk, whether they know you or not, this advice is hard to take.  It feels as uncomfortable as an ill-fitting suit of clothes.  We do not want to wear these clothes.  It is not our style.  This is not what we are about.

I didn't know the victim of this crime personally, but I'm quite sure I know someone here who did know her.  We are all connected in one way or another, through our churches, our schools, our places of business, our friends, and our families.  Pain and sadness felt by one of us is felt by us all.

Obviously, we are aware that any crime, including murder, is possible just about anywhere.  We aren't so naive as to believe that serious crime can't happen here.  However, when there hasn't been a murder in your town in more than sixty years, you do get lulled into the complacency of feeling you are living in a safe place.

Many here are frightened and feeling jumpy at the sight or sound of anything or anyone out of the ordinary.  I don't really feel frightened myself.  I guess I am of the mind that whatever is going to happen is going to happen, and that it is supposed to happen for a reason.  I suppose my faith and my belief that God is in control is why I feel this way.

So although I don't really feel frightened, I will probably be more cautious. I will be more aware of my surroundings. I probably won't be going for any late night walks alone anytime soon.   With the weather the way it is lately, I wouldn't be walking at night anyway. The cold temperatures, ice underfoot, chilling winds, and slushy snow are not conducive to pleasant walks on the paths in the park this time of year, but still I feel a bit cheated.  I feel that with this possible threat something precious has been taken from me.  It frustrates me and angers me.

I also feel saddened.  I feel great sadness and compassion for this woman and for her family, the other victims of this crime.  I hear the fear in the voices of the people who visit the library when they talk about this tragedy.  Their fear saddens me too.  I feel sadness for myself and my family as this has forced us to look suspiciously at anyone we see here whom we don't personally know.  I don't like how our freedom and our friendliness have been changed and limited by this senseless act.

So with this news, today I'm not feeling much like dancing.  I hope you don't mind if I sit this one out.  I'll be back next time with music to move to, but unfortunately, right now all I can hear is an uneasy silence.

Popular posts from this blog

Suddenly an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof. He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

408 cheytac vs 50 bmg