A Rake and a Hoe (Truly Grateful Series)

I've been working on hoeing the weeds out of the flower beds. I don't have a garden where I live now-- just a couple of flower beds. My parents kept a garden all during my growing up years though, and I have had gardens of my own at other homes where I have lived. My poor flower beds have been neglected of late, and the weeds are flourishing much better than the few flowers I have planted.

It felt good to go after those weeds with a hoe. It felt good to do some work, release some stress, and make the flower beds look neater all at the same time. It struck me that I was actually feeling grateful for those weeds growing there.

I know most people are probably not grateful for weeds, but having weeds to hoe is more than just a chore to me. Having weeds to hoe means that those weeds are growing in a flower bed that I take care of because it belongs to me. That flower bed is part of the yard that I own and in that yard is the house where I live. So having weeds to hoe reminds me of the fact that I am lucky enough to be a homeowner.

I have a home. That is certainly something to be grateful for, isn't it? I'm sure there are many people who are homeless who would love to trade places with me even if it meant that occasionally they would have to take a hoe to the weeds that are growing here.

I am grateful for weeds for another reason too. I happen to think there are lessons to be learned from weeds. I am always amazed at how weeds just spring up where no one has planted them. Their seeds have been blown to a piece of dirt by the wind, carried there by a bird, or their roots have come creeping under the ground from other weed plants to grow new plants all on their own. In spite of our efforts to pull them or cut them, the weeds still return. I have to admire their determination and tenacity.

Those weeds just keep on trying to grow no matter what tries to stop them. They don't give up easily. I think weeds can teach me a bit about being steadfast and unwavering when it comes to the importance of continuing to try to grow as a person. I think there is always room to grow--to be kinder, more compassionate, more patient, and more understanding.

While weeding the flower bed, the song below was playing in my head, so I thought I would share it with you.






Lord, for weeds and the home that goes with them and for the lessons they teach me, please let me be truly grateful.

Popular posts from this blog

Suddenly an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof. He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

408 cheytac vs 50 bmg