Moonlight and Flashing Lights (Truly Grateful Series)

I went walking later than usual a couple of nights this week. So late, in fact, that it was already getting dark. It was nice to just walk along in the moonlight and enjoy the quiet. The moon was framed by some of the treetops at the park so I took a picture. It was a small moment of peaceful joy.

One of the nights I walked, I came up to the street that runs alongside of the park and noticed flashing lights over to my left. I took a look and could see a fire truck, an ambulance, and four police cars all parked together there just a short distance away. I'll tell you more about that in a moment, but first I have to give you a little background information.

Back in May, my younger son went to Chicago for a couple of days on a class trip. He took our camera along with him. Unfortunately, the camera did not make the trip back home again. He realized after his return that he had left it behind in his hotel room. Although we called the hotel to see if it might have been turned in, the camera was not found.

To make a long story short, my husband bought another camera at the time to replace the lost one. It wasn't a very expensive one, but it is different than the other one, and, of course, I had to start all over again trying to learn how to use it.
This new camera also has a video feature on it which I had not yet tried. Since I was there seeing all those flashing lights down the street, I thought I'd try out the video feature to see if I could make it work.

So this is my very first attempt at using the video feature. It is just a few seconds long and not really much to look at, but I wanted to share it, so you can see the flashing lights that I saw.






Well, I warned you that it wasn't much to look at--HA! Anyway, it seemed to me at the time that there must have been something big going on with so many official vehicles there. I didn't go and investigate though and continued my walk in the opposite direction. I thought at the time that I would have to wait and check in the newspaper the next day to see what had happened that required so many of our little town's finest to be there answering the call.


So I did just that. I checked the police reports in the newspaper the next day and found out that the reason for the show of force from the police, fire, and EMS team the night of my walk was that there had been a "possible gas odor." Not an ACTUAL gas leak, not a fire, not an explosion, but a "POSSIBLE" gas odor was the cause of all those flashing lights.
I have to admit it made me giggle a bit. It was just another slow night for law enforcement in my little town again after all.

I'm not saying that we don't have things happen here that require the services of the police, firemen, and EMS workers because we do, but it isn't often that I see so many of them in one place like that. That is a good thing, of course. I was also reassured to know that when we do need help from those folks, we can count on them to be there. Living in a small town definitely has its advantages.


* * * * *


Lord, for the peace in my heart given to me from a walk in the moonlight and for the peace of mind given to me from knowing there are people who can help us in times of need behind the flashing lights of the police cars, fire trucks, and emergency squads, please let me be truly grateful.

Popular posts from this blog

Suddenly an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof. He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

408 cheytac vs 50 bmg