Pork Ribs in the Pressure Cooker

I bought a pressure cooker several years ago and I think I've only used it once or twice.  It lives downstairs on the shelf along with the crockpot, canning supplies, Christmas platters and meat slicer, so I don't often think about using it. 

I bought a couple pounds of pork ribs the other day and then hated the thought of having the oven on for 4 hours because the temperature was 81 degrees that day.  (Today it's 29 and snowing.)  So, the pressure cooker came to mind.  I dusted it off (actually, I washed it) and read the owner's manual again.

A pressure cooker cuts the cooking time to a third of what it would take in an oven!  

These are the finished ribs.  They were not falling off the bone but they were very, very tender and tasty!
I started with 2 pounds of pork ribs.
I marinated them in some white wine and bay leaves for about 5 hours.

I dried them off and browned them in a couple tablespoons of olive oil.    The browning was done right in the pressure cooker (with the lid off!).
I browned the ribs in a two batches then removed them from the pan and drained the oil.

I don't much like BBQ sauce... that tomato-y, ketchup-y, sometimes too sweet bottled stuff.  So, I mixed up...  
1/2 cup bourbon
2 T brown sugar
1 T honey
1 T Worcestershire
5 cloves garlic, sliced
I put the ribs back in the pressure cooker and poured the mixture on top of them.

Then I locked the lid on, turned the burner on and let it cook for 23 minutes.  At the end of the cooking time, the pressure must be released before you can open the lid.  This can be done by putting the cooker in the sink and running cold water over it, or by letting it sit until the pressure is gone (15-20 minutes).  I turned off the heat and just let the cooker sit on the stove another 20 minutes.  

I was so hungry and the ribs smelled so good!  My gardener is out of town, so I didn't even bother to make a vegetable or anything to go with these.  I just dug in and boy howdy were they good! 

I'm going to try to remember to use the pressure cooker more often.  It will be good for game that sometimes tends to be tough.  Do you have a pressure cooker?  Do you like using it?  What do you make in it?  

Popular posts from this blog

Blackened Scallops with Pasta

Animals

Jenny Mccarthy Pictures