Neopolitan Cookies

When I was a kid, if there was a half-gallon of Neopolitan ice cream in the freezer, I'd just scoop from the chocolate slice, avoiding the strawberry and vanilla.  People used to yell at me.  I have no idea why.

This recipe calls for putting the ingredients, all at once, into the bowl of an electric mixer.  I wondered about this and almost creamed the butter first then added the sugar, egg and so on, but in the end did what the recipe called for.  When I turned the mixer on it was a very dry, crumbly mixture and I thought it would never come together.  But sure enough, after a few minutes it did and made a delicious, easy to handle dough.     

Divide the dough into three parts.  I weighed the dough and had 13 ounces for each layer.  Tint one part with red food coloring and add almond flavoring.  Add 1/4 cup cocoa to another part of the dough.  To the last part of dough, add one-half cup chopped almonds.  After lining a loaf pan with waxed paper, press the dough into the bottom; one layer on top of the other.  Cover the top layer with another sheet of waxed paper and refrigerate at least four hours.  
Remove the dough from the pan and cut in in half lengthwise.
Then cut each strip into 16 pieces.  I did this by cutting the entire strip in half.  Then I cut those halves in half.  Then I cut those pieces in half, and so on.  This way you get cookies that are evenly sized.
The slices go onto a parchment lined baking sheet for 16-18 minutes at 350F.
These are very pretty cookies and they taste good, too!  I have a friend who makes them for Christmas and tints them red, white and green.

Does anyone else have a set of these Flintstone glasses from McDonald's?  The mark on the bottom says made in France, 1993.  I don't remember if you had to buy a Happy Meal in order to purchase the glasses, but I did get a set back in 1993.  Kids like to drink milk out of them.  Some adults I know do, too!

Popular posts from this blog

Suddenly an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof. He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

408 cheytac vs 50 bmg