Elk Round Steak

My crockpot spends most of its life on a closet shelf. I wish I had counter space to keep it out all the time so I'd remember to use it more often! I've never been disappointed with a meal that's come out of a crockpot.

With wild game, you sometimes get a piece of meat that isn't quite tender enough; and because wild game is leaner than most beef, sometimes it will be dry. When in doubt, I use the crockpot.

I put an elk round steak in the crockpot today topped with a can of cream of mushroom soup (I know, I know... but it makes the best gravy). I sliced up half an onion and three cloves of garlic and put that on top. Then I poured in about a half cup of red wine and sat back and waited for the aroma to begin! Half the fun of using a crockpot is when you leave the house to do errands and return to the wonderful aroma that fills the house!

Compared to beef, elk is lower in calories, total saturated fat, total fat, total monosaturated fat, and higher in protein, iron, potassium, and niacin. Here's the nutritional value (per 100 grams) of Beef vs. Elk:
Calories: Beef 199 - Elk 156
Protein: Beef 27g - Elk 31 g
Total fat: Beef 9.3g - Elk 2.5 g
Iron: Beef 2.2mg - Elk 4.08 mg
Total Sat Fat: Beef 3.37g - Elk 1.04g
Cholesterol: Beef 105mg - Elk 78mg

Healthy and delicious!

Popular posts from this blog

Suddenly an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof. He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

408 cheytac vs 50 bmg